Re: I'm Just a Bitter Aging Baby Boomer
Posted by **Beatles Fan Robert** on Jun 29, 2017 at 4:45:23 AM:
In Reply to: Re: I'm Just a Bitter Aging Baby Boomer posted by **JSL** on Jun 29, 2017 at 4:38:03 AM:
**I've said before, I think the Beatles "empire" has turned into a money making machine, making the group part of what I call the Elvis Factor. By that I mean endless compilations, versions of past albums (remastered, remastered-remastered, remixed remastered remastered, you get the idea). Where the hell could the average beginner begin? It just gets to be a dizzying maze of epic proportions.
**Other groups have done the same again, of course, so they are not guilty of an original sin. But it muddies the waters, and I, having experience them from their birth to their death, in real time, am saddened by it. The only true essentials as far as I am concerned was the 1994 Live at the BBC and the 1996 anthologies, CD's and videos. They completed the legacy. As Martin said it at the time, now the well was (truly) dry, and there would be no more new albums. He was a pretty lousy prognosticator as it turned out, even being at least partially guilty of the horribly dreadful Love soundtrack (my god, "mashing" their songs together to create some absurd noise? I think I will mash together Milton and Vonnegut and call it Slaughter House Lost).
* I know where you are coming from. The record executives and Apple will always try to come up with a new angle to make more money off of the Beatles.
* Maybe in 2020 the Let it Be film will finally see a proper Blu Ray/DVD release. But in order to have it you will have to purchase a massive box set that will also include a remixed/remastered version of the album, along with several discs of outtakes.
* I'm also surprised that we haven't seen a Beatles 2 yet which essentially would be made up of the B sides of the songs that were on Beatles 1.
I've been pushing for that for some time (Beatles 2). I even once emailed EMI/Apple Records but didn't hear back.
You could have a double CD, with the singles, A and B sides, back to back. That would make some sense to me.
Nothing is essential but since they are milking the catalog for every penny they can get why not?
As for Let It Be, I remember when it came out, and it died a quick death. The critics savaged it and no one came out to see it. Not sure it should see the light of day, especially seeing that they aired their dirty laundry in the Anthology broadcasts and tapes. How much more can they do? It must be like pouring salt on an open wound for McCartney, too, since he was in the bull's eye during that time.
- Re: I'm Just a Bitter Aging Baby Boomer - **Only Sleeping** - Jul 1, 2017 at 8:39:50 PM
- Re: I'm Just a Bitter Aging Baby Boomer - **Beatles Fan Robert** - Jul 4, 2017 at 8:49:16 PM
Home | Web Chat | Web Boards | Discography | Library | Quiz | Art & Poetry | Links | Store
Produced by Sam Choukri
Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated on Jul 4, 2017